UM and The Language Flagship partner to provide extensive funding to Arabic Flagship students for all study abroad experiences. Students are also encouraged to apply for additional scholarships from outside sources.
UM Arabic & The Language Flagship Scholarships*
|Experience||Cost of Attendance**||Scholarship||Funding Source||Cost to You|
|Summer Abroad||$8,000 to $9,000||$5,000 to $7,000||UM & Flagship***||$1,000 to $4,000|
|Summer Abroad II (optional)||$8,000 to $9,000||$3,000||UM||$5,000 to $6,000|
|Capstone Year||$28,000||$26,000 to $28,000||UM & Flagship***||$0 to 2,000|
*These numbers reflect an average over several years and are subject to change.
**Cost of Attendance is an estimate based on 2022 costs and includes airfare, lodging, meals, tuition, insurance, and UM study abroad fees.
***Funding from The Language Flagship is not guaranteed and is based on annual funding availability.
Other Study Abroad Scholarships
- Exclusively for Honors College students
- Awards typically range from $500 – $1,500.
- Applications are due in April for summer programs.
- Merit-based award up to $25,000 for a year-long study abroad program with a one-year federal service requirement
- For students interested in government service in the security sector
- Flagship students must be sure to indicate their status as a Flagship applicant. Read more about the Boren Flagship Scholarship.
- Applications are due in February.
- Need-based award of up to $8,000 for critical-need language study abroad programs of at least three weeks
- For students who are eligible for the Pell grant
- Applications are due in March for Summer programs.
- Merit-based scholarship for the full cost of attendance of CLS summer Arabic program in Jordan, Morocco, or Oman
- Applications are due in mid-November.
Visit the UM Study Abroad funding resource page for a list of other scholarship and fellowship opportunities.